Thursday, May 27

prioritizing.

ok friends- i know my posting has been less than awesome lately. I just needed a break. Let me share something with you- something I don't like to admit. You ready? here it is: Sometimes I care more about how people think we are doing than how we are actually doing. Blogging can be terrible for this! I get so caught up in how you all think my life is going, that I forget to do an honest survey of how things really are.

Drew and I had a heart to heart about re-prioritizing our life with what is important and realized we are exhausted!  If you know Drew and I, you know that are favorite thing is being around people. Saying "no" to things isn't something we do...not out of a sense of obligation, but we really like being around people and involved in all sorts of things. Lately though, things have gotten a bit...over committed.... at our house. SO- we sat down and really made a list of things that are important and things that aren't.

Here are somethings that didn't make the cut:

1) The photo blog. Too much of a stress... SO- I will continue to take a photo a day- and will occasionally share them here, but I just couldn't keep up another blog.

2) wedding invites. Especially with brides I know. :) Not that any of my brides have been awful, I just have a really hard time charging people I know for my time, so time to money ratio I was only paying myself about $3.00/hour (sometimes less). This isn't that big of a deal with a set of 20 shower invites, but 200+ wedding invites is another story.

3) some church commitments. this is a hard one. I LOVE being involved and I see everything we are doing as important, so it will be tough to choose what gets to go.I still haven't figured out what I am going to stop doing.


but here are some things I am getting excited about that we do see as a priority:

1) this blog. We love having a place for people to get to read what is happening in our lives- especially with the departure back to the Middle East getting closer, what better way to stay connected with people? so I will have more time to do this!

2) "school" with the girls. I don't mean workbooks and multiplication charts, but we will be starting a weekly project that has a purpose and lesson plan. I am excited that the girls are at an age where they are ready to learn and am SO excited to get to have more planned learning times with them!

3) spending time in the Word. I think a lot of times I replace knowing God with trying to serve God and I am excited to cut some stuff to have more time to spend getting to know what the Bible says about things.

Well, I'm glad we had this little chat. I will just pick up from here as oppose to trying to do a catch- up post. That is a little overwhelming.

love you all.

10 comments:

Brittany and Chase said...

jord thanks for sharing! I think this is a GREAT idea! hope it helps with stress and feeling overwhelmed... I totally understand that feeling...Chase & I do it all too often. I will be praying that it helps and that Denver will help you get refreshed and re-energized! love you friend.

kelli said...

Good for you -and thanks for your honesty. I bet I'm not the only one reading this and thinking I can totally relate to the exhausted/needing to re-prioritize feeling so I truly appreciate the encouraging example you are setting:)

Kristin said...

Thanks for sharing and for your honesty...I love that about you. And I'm really glad the blog made the cut!! :)

Praying that your time in the Word is sanctifying and fruitful!!

Steph said...

Ditto what the others said (= and I'm very glad the blog made the cut!
It doesn't sound like you are feeling bad/guilty about the necessity for the heart to heart or for the re-prioritizing. I'm glad. I think it is just a natural ebb and flow of life to have things swell up slowly and then we have to respond.
I'm not sure what you are doing about the wedding invites...was that getting chopped? You SOOOO need to get the gumption to charge what you are WORTH!!! Tom is much better at this than I, which is why he makes those decisions (=

anyway - kudos to you all. Would love a chat about how you made the arrival of #2 work. (= Not having problems yet, just wondering what you did.

The Reeds said...

I am also very glad the blog made the cut. If you can't be honest on here then what's it worth? And so glad you guys got time to reprioritize.. My wonderful hub is giving me a whole week alone this summer to spend time focused on that very thing.

Enjoy your change of scenery!!

Sara said...

Girl.
I couldn't agree more with the comments above, and with your sentiments expressed in this post. Thank you so much for your honesty -- and for pushing an issue that's been brewing in my own heart for a little while now.
So, so glad this blog made the cut. :) Thanks for being a friend and an inspiration!!

Lauren said...

Thanks for sharing Jordan! Josh and I have been sitting down to prioritize more and more lately. It's super hard to say "no" sometimes but there is fruit that comes from prayerfully considering what is most important!
love you and your honesty!

The Reeds said...

Hey, on a different topic :), the Fosters can't go b/c of their kids/schedules but are still a part of our team. It's been great having them!

Robin said...

Good for you for knowing when too much is too much and for deciding what is really important. Glad the blog will still be around though!

kjds said...

This was so good to read! I even emailed Kev and said -- go read Jordan's blog and then let's talk about our priorities too. He was totally on board and helped me think through some things. I am thinking about posting on this myself soon ...