I realize that some of those things I have no control over (medical and house repairs)...but some of those things I can totally give up, especially if its only for a month and I get a lovely prize at the end.
Now to the difficult part- choosing a camera!
I have it narrowed down to three options , thanks to this article, this article, some research and, of course, my budget for the camera:

2. The Nikon D60 10.2MP Digital SLR Camera. This one is not on the list, but I'm not sure why....and its a solid option for me:

3. Nikon D50 6.1MP Digital SLR Camera. This one is on the list. It has less mega pixels than the other two, but is also less expensive: 

13 comments:
Holla!!!
I think you know which one my vote is for, since I LURVE it and everything! (I have a D80, but my in-laws have the D40 which is pretty much just like the D50 and they rave about it too.)
I bought mine from Amazon because they had the best deal for my money at the time. Check there, check bhphoto, check all over the internet - and also compare it with Best Buy just to make sure they're not running some sort of amazing deal as well on what you would want. Keep in mind something that Robin said - a good camera base is important, but it's the lenses that make the difference (and the operator as well, but that's a different matter). At least with lenses you can really save up and add to your collection over time!
Happy hunting, and best of luck saving!!
OH! If you have the opportunity, get your hands on one for a while and see what camera base just 'feels right' in your hands. I think you'll be fine with either Canon or Nikon - really it seems to be just personal preference from there on out.
(Keep all this in mind while reading my comments: I am not a professional in any way, shape, or form!!!)
I have a Nikon D80 and like it perhaps ever lurve it. I got my at Armadillo which was not the best deal but was and is the best service. So even if you don't buy a camera there, they have excellent help. If you are going Nikon, go d40 or d90. Here is an excellent site with reviews and tips:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/recommended-cameras.htm
Nikons and Canons feel much different to hold and operate differently, I went with the nikon because it had slightly better features but fit SO much better in my hand. You are welcome to mess with mine if you want. I don't know what Brittany has but I bet she has some advice!
mine is the nikon d40. there is an EXCELLENT review on www.kenrockwell.com on everything you could ever want to know about it and more.
Yep, I agree with Alissa on checking out Ken Rockwell. He does great Nikon reviews.
I don't think the different in megapixels will matter too much to you. See point 2: http://digital-photography-school.com/how-to-buy-a-digital-camera
Do you have any friends with a Nikon or Canon that live near you? If you get a Canon, you can test out and share lenses with your Canon friends. If you get a Nikon, you can share lenses with your Nikon friends.
Also, just looking at the D50, it has a smaller viewing screen than the D60. I prefer the larger viewer screen to look at my pics. My in-laws have the D40, which has the same issue. I always find it annoying when I use their camera because I'm used to a larger screen. But that might be a little nitpicky since you'll just go dump all the photos on your computer to look through them anyways.
Good luck on saving your money!
I use a Nikon as well and LOVE it.
I couldn't comment on the Canons so ditto what everyone else said about reading reviews and getting your hands on a few to test drive.
Don't skimp on your lens whatever you do! A good lens is a good investment. Have fun -you're so creative I can't wait to see the beautiful photos you'll be taking soon!
i really have no opinion for you, however, i am super excited that you might get to get it! I will have to bring you a sonic drink some this month so you don't go through withdrawls and end up breaking! :0)
im a bit partial to canon :) ive never had a rebel before but i just love everything canon. i'm sure they're all great cameras though!
Wow, I'm glad for Brittany's comment because I was starting to feel lonely here! I love Canon all over. I always had Point and Shoots that were canon and this is my first DSLR. I'm loving learning about it!
I went with the rebel only because of our budget. Maybe we can learn together!!!
I love how people (myself included) are so loyal to their camera brand. :)
Here's a bunch of people sounding off on nikon vs canon:
http://thepioneerwoman.com/photography/2008/07/nikon-or-canon-or-nikon-or-canon/
i think they are both (canon & nikon) great! i have a canon but not a rebel and i've tried whit's nikon before (she had a d40 but just got a d90, it has a fun video option, but my favorite is her micro-nikkor 105mm f/2.8 lens!)...
i am with everyone else...see which one fits you best and totally make sure the lenses you want will work on the body that you buy...i just remember whit being limited with her d40 and wishing she could get certain lenses but couldn't because they didn't go with her body...i agree with whoever said not to skimp on the lens you get...decide what kind of pictures you are wanting to take (portraits, landscape, action, low light, etc.) and go from there...
b&h photo (i've bought a lens from them) is a good website to buy from or amazon...i bought my camera body locally here in louisville so that doesn't help...
happy hunting! how fun for you! i wish i were there and i'd bring you a sonic drink too! :)
Hey dear - we have the Rebel Xri or whatever it is. The pictures look great by the way! Love them all.
I had the Nikon D50 before I sold it for a Canon 50D. :) I prefer canon :) but I think that's totally just an opinion. both have been great! :)
Post a Comment