Anyway- the other day a friend told me a story about her niece, who is ten. She is all girl. She has a "no boys allowed" sign on her room. She has a BFF and they have BFF matching rings and a BFF handshake/dance. She is into dancing and music and giggling and says funny girly things. My friend told me about all this and then said "Praise the Lord, I have boys and don't have to mess with all of that!" ....and the weird thing is that I thought to myself: awww I really am a "girl mom" because I can't wait to go through some of that with my girls!
I am so excited for the girl talks, and getting an outfit for the first day of school (so what if school is only my girls and a couple other kids?) and shopping, and getting ready for dances, and teary eyed drama, and being confused about boys, and late night chats, and showing them what is is to be a Godly woman, and teaching them to guard their hearts, and making "good luck baskets" for whatever things they decide to pursue...and just being girls together.
I know we aren't to those things yet, but here are some girl things we are enjoying:
Diapers! Really just being maternal with all dolls and stuffed animals. But these felt diapers are a hit!
And shoes. "oooes" is one of Sayla's 15 words and the girls change shoes several times a day. A healthy, very girly obsession with shoes. :)
I love my girls, I love being their mom, I love being a girl mom.
10 comments:
fun things- now & to look forward to. are those heels yours?!?
sweet! me too jord!
ummm, this makes me want to be a girl mom. someday, right?
oh jord! i am so excited for all the things you will get to experience. having girls has been such a delight (well, most of the time...there are those moments...) i can't wait to hear all about it as it happens. :)
Jordan, you must have your camera as a permanent extra appendage - kind of like how Mallory has her cell phone never more than seconds from here grasp. Love the photos. We don't have one, but etched permanently in my memory is Mallory walking out of somewhere in the backl of the house into the living room at Joy's Aunt and Uncles place in Phoenix, complete in even higher and pointier red pumps. The thing that proves they are all girl in my mind though was not just the fascination/obsession with shoes, but at the tender age of 2-3 (Joy will know for sure) she was walking perfectly in them.
I know that I have been incredibly blessed to be a mom to both girls and a boy. But I must admit that the relationship with a daughter is so deep and personal that I can't even imagine my life and how it would have been without daughters.
I have always thought that I would have been a better "boy mom" than to girls. All of you know that I'm not very "girly" and that our girls had to struggle through a mom who really didn't care much about braids or hairstles and coordinating outfits. They could be pretty girly at times and they often look back at pictures when they were younger and ask things like, "did you REALLY let me leave the house looking like that?" Quite honestly, I still don't see what they are talking about. They were deprived of clomping around in high heels when they were young, in fact, I have one pair of heels that Kirstin wanted me to buy but I don't wear them very often because I don't "dress up" very often. Yep...all this was lost on me and definitely skipped a generation! But without my fashionista daughters, I would be a hopelessly FRUMPY old woman. Not to mention that I would have never shared the special shopping trips for homecoming, prom and wedding dresses (or shopping for any kind of clothes, jewelry or makeup for that matter)!!!
I love the fact that we snuggled much longer than what you could with a boy. In fact, we still do! I just CAN"T imagine that I would have become the person that I am today without having the most precious, wonderful three daughters that God blessed me with!
So...here is to having the same with our granddaughters!
Oh yes, I forgot to mention that I have a "front row seat" during their pregnancies (and sometimes the birth of their child)...what they are feeling physically and emotionally. What a gift!
love this post!! i know just what you mean! i always thought i was having tons of boys and then i have mostly girls and i just love it. i love when it is just me and sass and aves and it just feels different. like we are a team and we will always have each other. girls are so much fun. love this pic of kead and aves! so sad we have to move!!
this is a really sweet post! You take great pictures!
Love this post and love your pictures... I, too, always assumed I would be a mom of boys! I love that God gave us little girls!
Post a Comment